Friday, May 2, 2014

Homemade Vanilla Caramel Sauce


I recently made this homemade caramel sauce. I adapted the recipe slightly from Sally's Baking Addiction. It is super easy to make, second time was a charm, for me! The first go around I burned the caramel and butter mixture. You have to be extra careful and make sure you are constantly stirring. I decided to hold back on the salt a bit and added in some vanilla extract.

It turned out delish! Caramel sauce is perfect for a topping on just about any dessert. My kids will be using it on their homemade vanilla ice cream. ENJOY!

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons salted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
a pinch of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place one cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turns into a light brown color. DO NOT BURN. Stir constantly. Add butter and continue to stir until butter melts. Slowly add in heavy cream. Continue to stir until it bubbles up on the sides. I turned mine down to low when I added butter. I burnt my first batch to I was a bit more cautious this time around.

Remove from heat. Add a pinch of kosher sea salt and 1/2-1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Pour into storage container and let cool. Store in air tight container in fridge.

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment